Bill is a shareholder and currently section head of the Oil, Gas, and Energy Resources Section. He is Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
AREAS OF CONCENTRATION
Oil and Gas Transactional Work and Title Examination
Bill spends significant time representing oil and gas companies and individuals in structuring, negotiating, and documenting oil and gas transactions, and in examining titles for drilling, division order, acquisition, and financing purposes. He has prepared many different types of purchase and sale agreements, seismic exploration agreements, conventional exploration and development agreements, seismic option agreements, assignments and reservations of oil and gas rights and interests, farmout agreements, operating agreements, and other similar documents. Bill has represented many clients in connection with the purchase and sale of producing and non-producing oil and gas properties, gas pipelines, gas processing facilities, and other related oil and gas assets. He is also experienced in representing clients with issues involving surface and subsurface usage, trespass and damages.
Oil and Gas Financing
Bill devotes a major portion of his practice to the representation of financial institutions and independent oil companies in structuring, negotiating, and documenting oil and gas loans. He has represented lenders and borrowers in many energy loans involving borrowings in excess of $20 million, and with collateral located in numerous states and offshore areas. In addition, Bill has experience in working on loan workouts, loan participations, loan collections, and loan foreclosures.
Real Estate Transactions
Bill has had a broad range of general real estate experience, including experience in connection with wind energy projects and the purchase, sale, and leasing of commercial and farm and ranch real estate. Bill is also experienced in commercial real estate construction and permanent financing, easements, and assisting Cotton Bledsoe's Estate Planning and Probate and Business Sections with the transfer of assets in connection with estate planning and the restructuring/reorganization of business entities.
Areas of Practice
- Oil and Gas Transactional Work and Title Examination
- Oil and Gas Financing
- Real Estate Transactions
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Texas, 1982
- Texas Tech University School of Law, Lubbock, Texas
- J.D. - 1982
- Honors: With Honors
- Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
- B.B.A. - 1979
- Selected Title Issues, (Co-Author with Tevis Herd), 13th Annual Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Institute, University of Texas School of Law, 1987
- Speaker, Selected Title Issues, 13th Annual Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Institute, University of Texas School of Law, 1987 to 1987
Honors and Awards
- Phi Kappa Phi
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Midland County Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Midland County Young Lawyers' Association, Member
- Delta Theta Phi