Mr. Baker practices in the firm's Litigation Section. He was licensed to practice in Texas in 2008 and in New Mexico in 2009. He is also admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas and the United States District Court for the District of New Mexico, and the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Baker volunteers and is involved in many civic, church, and charitable activities.
Mr. Baker has in recent years been recognized as a Rising Star, and is this year being recognized as a Super Lawyer in the field of Energy and Natural Resources.
AREAS OF CONCENTRATION
Mr. Baker assists clients in cases involving business disputes, including contract disputes, oil and gas disputes, and general litigation matters. Mr. Baker has extensive experience researching, drafting pleadings and discovery, and handling matters involving a variety of complex oil and gas litigation matters, contract disputes, and a variety of other civil matters.
Mr. Baker has also worked on state and federal appeals regarding claims for oil and gas disputes. He has researched and drafted briefs in both state and federal appeals courts. Mr. Baker's work on these briefs has helped resolve oil and gas disputes.
Oil and Gas Litigation
Mr. Baker has represented a number of clients in oil and gas matters involving purchase and sale agreements, division orders, oil and gas leases, drilling contracts, well service contracts, master service agreements, audit rights, gas purchase agreements, and the federal potash area. He has also participated in cases involving the construction and enforcement of operating agreements, operator removal disputes, royalty owner disputes, and working interest owner disputes.
Mr. Baker also provides advice and prepares agreements that cover a variety of transactions.
Mr. Baker is a member of the Midland County Bar Association, a Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation, and is a member of the Board of Directors for Midland Shared Spaces, Centers for Children and Families, and the Midland-Odessa Symphony and Chorale.
Areas of Practice
- Oil & Gas Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Texas, 2008
- New Mexico, 2009
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court District of New Mexico
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- Texas Tech University School of Law, Lubbock, Texas
- J.D. - 2008
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Phi Delta Phi
- Texas Christian University
- Bachelor of Arts - 2002
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: History
- Endeavor Energy Resources, L.P. v. Discovery Operating, Inc., 448 S.W.3d 169 (Tex. App.—Eastland 2014)
- Lesley v. Veterans Land Bd. of State, 352 S.W.3d 479 (Tex. 2011)
- Speaker, Receivership Leases, AAPL Field Landman Seminar, Midland, Texas, February 2015
- Speaker, The Joint Operating Agreement, State Bar of Texas Oil, Gas, and Energy Resources 101 Course, Houston, Texas, September 2015
- Speaker, A Litigation Attorney’s View of Division Orders, Permian Basin Association of Division Order Analysts, October 2016.
- Speaker, Leasing on Relinquishment Act Lands, 19th Annual Permian Basin Oil & Gas Law Seminar, February 2017
Honors and Awards
- Chosen as one of the top 20 professionals under 40 in Midland by Midland Magazine
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Midland County Bar Association, Present
- State Bar of Texas, Present
- State Bar of New Mexico, Present
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Present
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Midland Teen Court, Vice President and Board Member
- Midland Shared Spaces, Board Member
- Phi Delta Phi