Kristi is a shareholder in the Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Section. She is Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She is licensed to practice in all Texas Courts and the United States Supreme Court.
AREAS OF CONCENTRATION
Kristi devotes much of her practice to the preparation of wills and the creation and modification of trusts. Kristi prepares specialized estate planning documents to assist her clients reduce or avoid estate, gift, and generation-skipping transfer taxes.
Family Wealth Transfers
Kristi helps families plan for the orderly transfer of family assets. She assists business owners with developing and implementing succession plans to help family businesses thrive after the founding generation retires or passes away. She counsels clients on the equitable division of estates. Kristi commonly advises owners of oil and gas interests regarding transfer techniques designed to avoid further fractionalization of interests over time.
Part of Kristi's practice involves advising clients concerning lawful asset protection techniques, including the establishment of family limited partnerships, separate property trusts and the preparation of marital property agreements.
Kristi spends a significant amount of time advising clients in preparation for any period of incapacity. She advises clients about Directives to Physicians (Living Wills), Medical Powers of Attorney, Statutory Durable Powers of Attorney (both immediate and springing) and Living Trusts. She has also advised clients about the option of pre-need guardian designations.
Probate, Estate and Trust Administration
Advising fiduciaries and estate beneficiaries in matters relating to the probate of estates of decedents is a significant part of Kristi's practice. She has advised surviving spouses of decedents regarding their statutory rights and has advised fiduciaries, such as executors, administrators, and trustees, regarding the disposition of decedents' estates in both contested and uncontested matters. Kristi also handles Texas ancillary probates of non-resident decedents who owned property in Texas.
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning and Probate
- Family Wealth Transfers
- Asset Protection
- Incapacity Planning
- Probate, Estate and Trust Administration
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Texas, 1989
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1993
- Baylor University School of Law, Waco, Texas
- J.D. - 1989
- Honors: Phi Delta Phi
- Howard Payne University, Brownwood, Texas
- B.A. - 1986
- Honors: Douglas MacArthur Academy of Freedom Honors Program, Free Enterprise Curriculum
- Honors: With Honors
- Trust modification
- Kristi is a frequent lecturer to both professional and lay groups.
Honors and Awards
- Girl Scouts of the Permian Basin, Woman of Distinction, 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Midland County Bar Association, Member
- College of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Midland Odessa Business and Estate Council, Past President
- Women’s Energy Network – Permian Basin, President, 2017 to 2017
Past Employment Positions
- Davis Gerald and Cremer, A professional Corporation, Shareholder, 2009 to 2014
Pro Bono Activities
- Kristi has assisted indigent clients with estate and probate matters.