Eric is a shareholder in the firms Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Section. He is Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
His practice primarily consists of advising exploration and development companies with their upstream operations in Texas. Eric provides counsel to oil and gas companies of all sizes relating primarily to transactional related matters. Prior to his experience as an attorney, Eric worked as an independent landman, where he performed due diligence, title research, and lease acquisition in Oklahoma and Texas.
AREAS OF CONCENTRATION
Oil and Gas Title Examination
Eric spends a significant portion of his time on oil and gas title examination. His title examination work involves all types of opinions, including drilling title opinions, division order title opinions, right-of-way opinions, and acquisition title opinions. Title opinions may be based on abstract examination or done by "stand-up" examination in the county clerk's office.
Oil and Gas Transactional Work
Eric also spends a portion of his time counseling oil and gas companies in negotiating and documenting oil and gas transactions. He prepares many different types of purchase and sale agreements, assignments, leases, seismic option agreements, farmout agreements, participation agreements, joint operating agreements, and other documents relating to exploration and development of oil and gas reserves. He assists clients in curative work, and drafts stipulation of interests and cross-conveyances, deeds, royalty assignments, ratifications, and other relevant documents, and conducts mineral receivership proceedings. In addition, he also counsels clients in development and operations of producing properties, including unit formation and maintenance, leasing matters, and surface use.
Areas of Practice
- Oil and Gas Title Examination
- Oil and Gas Transactional Work
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- University of Oklahoma College of Law, Norman, Oklahoma
- J.D. - 2006
- University of Oklahoma
- B.S. - 2002
- Major: Mathematics
- Surface Use by Mineral Owners: The Title Insurance Solution, 2009 TEXAS LAND TITLE INSTITUTE, November 2009, Co-Author with Celia Flowers and Melanie Reyes
- Speaker, Now That There Is No Standard Lease Form – What Provisions Can We Expect to See Mineral Owners Negotiate?, EAST TEXAS ASSOCIATION OF PETROLEUM LANDMEN, 03/20/2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- Texas Young Lawyer’s Association, Member
- East Texas Association of Petroleum Landmen, Member
- Permian Basin Landmen’s Association, Member
- Phi Delta Phi